This award recognizes an outstanding research report, master’s thesis, dissertation, or published article related to women and health or women in health-related endeavors. It is named for Elizabeth Blackwell, MD, the first woman to graduate from medical school, and made possible by the generosity of Dr. Barbara “Penny” Kanner.
One $1000 award
Monday, March 29, 2021
- Applicant must be registered in a graduate program (such as PhD, master’s, etc.) at UCLA during the quarters when the application is due and when award payment is made
- The research report, master’s thesis, dissertation, or published article must have been written while the applicant was enrolled in a UCLA graduate program
- Co-authored submissions are eligible for this award with the following stipulations:
- To be eligible for the Elizabeth Graduate, MD, Graduate Award, the first author(s) must be a graduate student(s). If the first author is an undergraduate student, apply for the Elizabeth Blackwell, MD, Undergraduate Award.
- Applications may be submitted either by the main/first author of a co-authored paper or by two or more co-authors of a paper where they share equal authorship.
- For papers with faculty or postdoctoral fellow co-authors, the graduate student applicant must be the first or main author.
- All co-authored submissions must complete the Percentage of Work Form as part of the application. The applicant(s) and the faculty advisor for the project must sign the form.
- Only applicants (if authors include faculty or postdoctoral fellows) are eligible to receive the award and corresponding award payment.
- Awardee(s) will be honored at the CSW Awards Celebration at UCLA in May/June 2021. Attendance is expected.
- Students who are qualified under the CA Dream Act of 2011 are eligible to apply. Find detailed information on the Dream Act at www.financialaid.ucla.edu.
- Applicants receiving financial aid are advised to consult with the Financial Aid Office about the potential effect of this award on their financial aid package.
The application requires the documents listed below:
- Research report or an abstract/summary of a master’s thesis, dissertation, or published article (maximum 6 single-spaced pages, including works cited)
- For published or accepted work, the committee will accept the published abstract and excerpts from the material to total no more than the allotted length of six pages in lieu of a written summary.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Unofficial UCLA Transcripts (with most recent coursework)
- Two Letters of Recommendation from faculty members of any university
- For co-authored submissions, the Percentage of Work Form (signed by the applicant(s) and faculty advisor for the project)
Letters of Recommendation
Letters of recommendation should be uploaded via Submittable. Applicants will list the recommender’s email address in the form and an email will be sent (once the application is submitted) via Submittable to the recommender with instructions on uploading.
If the recommender encounters difficulties uploading letters to Submittable, they may send it directly to firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the student and award for which they are applying.
Only complete applications will be considered. CSW must receive all required documents, including letters of recommendation, no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Monday, March 29, 2021.
For questions regarding CSW awards, fellowships, and grants, please contact the Management Services Officer.