This award recognizes an outstanding research report, master’s thesis, dissertation, or published article related to women and health or women in health-related endeavors. It is named for Elizabeth Blackwell, MD, the first woman to graduate from medical school, and made possible by the generosity of Dr. Barbara “Penny” Kanner.
One $1000 award
Monday, April 1, 2019
- Applicant must be currently registered in a graduate program at UCLA
- The research report, master’s thesis, dissertation, or published article must have been written while the applicant was enrolled in a UCLA graduate program
- Co-authored submissions are eligible for this award, as long as all of the co-authors on the project are students (that is, faculty and postdoctoral fellows cannot be co-authors). At least one of the co-authors must be a graduate student; other co-authors can be undergraduates. If selected, one award will be split amongst all applicants. Payment will be issued to one student, who will be responsible for distributing payment to the other members.
- Awardee(s) will be honored at the CSW Awards Reception at UCLA on May 30, 2019. Attendance is highly encouraged.
- Students who are qualified under the CA Dream Act of 2011 are eligible to apply. Find detailed information on the Dream Act at www.financialaid.ucla.edu.
- Applicants receiving financial aid are advised to consult with the Financial Aid Office about the potential effect of this award on their financial aid package.
The application requires the documents listed below:
- Research report or an abstract/summary of a master’s thesis, dissertation, or published article (maximum 6 single-spaced pages, including works cited)
- For published or accepted work, the committee will accept the published abstract and excerpts from the material to total no more than the allotted length of six pages in lieu of a written summary.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Unofficial UCLA Transcripts
- Two Letters of Recommendation from faculty members of any university
Letters of Recommendation
Letters of recommendation should be uploaded via Submittable. Applicants will list the recommender’s email address in the form and an email will be sent (once the application is submitted) via Submittable to the recommender with instructions on uploading.
If the recommender encounters difficulties uploading letters to Submittable, they may send it directly to email@example.com with the name of the student and award for which they are applying.
Only complete applications will be considered. CSW must receive all required documents, including letters of recommendation, no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Monday, April 1, 2019.
For questions regarding CSW awards, fellowships, and grants, please contact the Management Services Officer.