This award recognizes an outstanding research report, thesis, or published article related to women and health or women in health-related endeavors. Named for Elizabeth Blackwell, MD, the first woman to graduate from medical school, it is made possible by the generosity of Dr. Barbara “Penny” Kanner.
One $1000 award
Monday, March 29, 2021
- Applicant must be registered in an undergraduate program at UCLA during the quarters when the application is due and when award payment is made.
- The research report, thesis, or published article must have been written while the applicant was enrolled in a UCLA undergraduate program.
- Co-authored submissions are eligible for this award with the following stipulations:
- Applications may be submitted either by the main/first author of a co-authored paper or by two or more co-authors of a paper where they share equal authorship.
- The applicant must be an undergraduate student(s).
- For papers with faculty, graduate students, or post-doctoral fellow co-authors, the undergraduate student applicant must be the first or main author.
- All co-authored submissions must complete the Percentage of Work Form as part of the application. The applicant(s) and the faculty advisor for the project must sign the form.
- Only applicants, not necessarily all authors, are eligible to receive the award and corresponding award payment.
- Awardee(s) will be honored at the CSW Awards Celebration at UCLA in May/June 2021. Attendance is expected.
- Students who are qualified under the CA Dream Act of 2011 are eligible to apply. Find detailed information on the Dream Act at www.financialaid.ucla.edu.
- Applicants receiving financial aid are advised to consult with the Financial Aid Office about the potential effect of this award on their financial aid package.
The application requires the documents listed below:
- Research report or an abstract/summary of a thesis or published article (maximum 6 single-spaced pages, including works cited)
- For published or accepted work, the committee will accept the published abstract and excerpts from the material to total no more than the allotted length of six pages in lieu of a written summary.
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- Unofficial UCLA Transcripts (with most recent coursework)
- For transfer students, community college transcripts are welcome if the applicant feels it will strengthen the application. (with most recent coursework)
- Two Letters of Recommendation from faculty members of any university
- For co-authored submissions, the Percentage of Work Form (signed by the applicant(s) and faculty advisor for the project)
Letters of Recommendation
Letters of recommendation should be uploaded via Submittable. Applicants will list the recommender’s email address in the form and an email will be sent (once the application is submitted) via Submittable to the recommender with instructions on uploading.
If the recommender encounters difficulties uploading letters to Submittable, they may send it directly to firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the student and award for which they are applying.
Only complete applications will be considered. CSW must receive all required documents, including letters of recommendation, no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Monday, March 29, 2021.
For questions regarding CSW awards, fellowships, and grants, please contact the Management Services Officer.