Constance Coiner Undergraduate Prize
This award honors the life and continues the work of Constance Coiner, PhD 1987, who died along with her daughter Ana Duarte-Coiner on TWA Flight 800, in June of 1996. Learn more about Constance and Ana.
One $750 award
Thursday, March 31, 2022
- The prize will be offered to low-income undergraduate students who demonstrate an early interest in working-class and feminist issues as well as activist practice for social change
- Applicant must be an upper-division student enrolled at UCLA. Applicant must be a registered undergraduate student during the quarters when the application is due and when award payment is made.
- Applicant must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Awardee will be honored at the CSW Awards Celebration at UCLA in May/June 2022. Attendance is highly encouraged.
- Students who are qualified under the CA Dream Act of 2011 are eligible to apply. Find detailed information on the Dream Act at www.financialaid.ucla.edu.
- Students receiving financial aid are advised to consult with the Financial Aid Office about the potential effect of this award on their financial aid package.
The application requires the following documents:
- Personal Essay (maximum 1500 words)
a. Discuss how you make sense intellectually of the ways in which society defines and responds to gender, socioeconomic class, and racial and ethnic background.
b. Drawing on your life and academic activities, discuss what you believe and value about gender, class, or race and how you act on those beliefs and values through your work and study. Include details pertaining to your activities, such as the following:
- Coursework, internships, field studies, and employment
- Campus- or community-based activities/service programs
- Tutoring experiences
- Leadership roles
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Unofficial UCLA Transcripts (with most recent coursework)
- For transfer students, community college transcripts are welcome if applicant feels it will strengthen application.
- Two Letters of Recommendation: One letter from a faculty member of any university and another letter from a faculty or non-faculty recommender who is knowledgeable about your community work.
Letters of Recommendation
Letters of recommendation should be uploaded via Submittable. Applicants will list the recommender’s email address in the form, and an email will be sent (once the application is submitted) via Submittable to the recommender with instructions on uploading.
Only complete applications will be considered. CSW must receive all required documents, including letters of recommendation, no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Thursday, March 31, 2022.
If the recommender encounters difficulties uploading letters to Submittable, they may send it directly to firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the student and award for which they are applying.
For questions regarding CSW awards, fellowships, and grants, please contact the Management Services Officer.