OUR MISSION AND COMMITMENT
CSW strives to create a world in which education and scholarship are tools for social justice feminism, improving the lives of people of all genders!
Your gift supports our foundational research on women and gender equality. Give to CSW today through our secure online donation form.
See below for more information on the specific giving opportunities and funds.
- Founded in 1984, CSW was the first research center on gender and sexuality in the University of California System.
- Today, over 200 UCLA Faculty Members from across UCLA are affiliated with CSW.
- In 2017-2018, our educational events served over 800 students, faculty, and community members.
- Each year, we fund 40+ annual grants, fellowships, and awards that enable UCLA researchers to conduct innovative research on eliminating gender inequality.
- CSW has published 24 Policy Briefs since 2010 and 60+ blog posts since 2016, which draw on original research. In addition, CSW has published 750 papers, articles, books, conference papers, and other publications through the California Digital Library.
Your gifts provide:
- Funding for foundational research towards eliminating gender inequality: supporting costs of technology, equipment, and overhead for research projects.
- Funding for Postdoctoral, Staff, and Academic research positions, enabling us to grow our team of innovative thinkers and scholars and produce original research.
- Funding for programming: supporting the costs of bringing world-renowned scholars and activists to UCLA to benefit our community.
HOW YOUR DONATIONS SUPPORT OUR PROGRAMS AND RESEARCH
Your donations to the CSW Innovation Fund, Faculty Research Fund, and Friends of CSW Fund support work in our four research streams, which focus on solutions to critical problems that hamper gender equality:
CSW’s Chemical Entanglements research aims to expose and eliminate the threats to women’s reproductive health posed by everyday chemical exposures. Our researchers are discovering how members of the UCLA community are impacted by exposure, and we are developing policies to make our campus safer and healthier for people of all genders. Learn more about the Chemical Entanglements project.
Feminist Carceral Studies
The number of women in U.S. prisons increased by an unprecedented 757% between 1977 and 2004, and incarcerated women and LGBTQ individuals experience unprecedented rates of violence. CSW is gathering scholars and activists to advocate for incarcerated women and to work towards true justice by developing alternatives to incarceration. Learn more about the core program in this research stream: Thinking Gender 2019: Feminists Confronting the Carceral State.
Gender and Water
Gender shapes the way we use water: water-heavy activities like housecleaning, yard work, etc. often get divided by family members along gendered lines. In addition, women are at the forefront of water activism, from Standing Rock to Flint, MI. By asking new questions about how gender shapes the way individuals and families use and understand water, we are developing new tools for conservation education in the wake of climate change. Learn more about the Gender and Water project.
Rethinking Sexual Violence
Gender-based discrimination and sexual assault continue to block women from full access to educational opportunity, and current punishment-based interventions fail to address the ways that experiences of sexual violence are shaped by race and class. CSW’s research on the impact of Title IX policies will result in new solutions to this problem, empowering victims of violence at all levels of the education system. Learn more about our upcoming Policy Brief publication on sexual violence.
HOW YOUR DONATIONS SUPPORT STUDENT RESEARCHERS
Your donations to the Constance Coiner Fund, Jean Stone Endowment Fund, and Twin Pines Travel Fund support awards, grants, and fellowships for UCLA Graduate and Undergraduate Students who are making significant contributions to feminist research. Learn more about our Graduate and Undergraduate funding programs.