This fellowship honors the life and continues the work of Constance Coiner, PhD 1987, who died along with her daughter Ana Duarte-Coiner on TWA Flight 800, June 1996. Click here for more information about Constance and Ana.
One $1500 fellowship
Monday, March 29, 2021
- Applicant must be registered in a doctoral program at UCLA during the quarters when the application is due and when award payment is made.
- Applicant must be advanced to candidacy by the award application date.
- Applicant’s teaching and research must center on working class studies and feminist issues.
- Applicant must demonstrate both excellence in teaching and a commitment to teaching as activism.
- Awardee will be honored at the CSW Awards Celebration at UCLA in May/June 2021. Attendance is expected.
- Students who are qualified under the CA Dream Act of 2011 are eligible to apply. Find detailed information on the Dream Act at www.financialaid.ucla.edu.
- Students receiving financial aid are advised to consult with the Financial Aid Office about the potential effect of this award on their financial aid package.
The application requires the documents listed below.
- Personal Essay (5 single-spaced pages maximum)
a. Discuss how you make sense intellectually of the ways in which society defines and responds to gender, and/or socioeconomic class, and/or racial and ethnic background.
b. Drawing on your life and academic activities, discuss how your beliefs and values about gender, class, and race influence your community work, academic study/research, and teaching philosophy, including teaching as activism. Include details pertaining to your activities, such as the following:
- Coursework, internships, field studies, and employment
- Teaching philosophy, teaching experience, and educational service programs
- Extracurricular activities and service programs, including offices held and leadership roles
- Participation in programs that promote (1) academic opportunities for students from diverse socioeconomic, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds and (2) community activities for feminist and/or social change
- Curriculum Vitae
- Unofficial UCLA Transcripts (with most recent coursework)
- Two Letters of Recommendation: One letter from a faculty member of any university focused on scholarship and academic achievement, and another letter from a faculty member focused on your teaching experience.
Letters of Recommendation
Letters of recommendation should be uploaded via Submittable. Applicants will list the recommender’s email address in the form and an email will be sent via Submittable (once the application is submitted) to the recommender with instructions on uploading.
Only complete applications will be considered. CSW must receive all required documents, including letters of recommendation, no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Monday, March 29, 2021.
If the recommender encounters difficulties uploading letters to Submittable, they may send it directly to firstname.lastname@example.org with the name of the student and award for which they are applying.
For questions regarding CSW awards, fellowships, and grants, please contact the Management Services Officer.