Meet our TG22 Conference Coordinator

Thinking Gender 2022: Transgender Studies at the Intersections is just around the corner! This year’s conference would not be possible without the efforts of our incredible TG22 Conference Coordinator, Angel De Luna Escobedo! We caught up with her and learned more about her work, favorite zodiac signs, and hobbies! If you haven’t already done so, you can still register for the TG22 keynote on Wednesday, April 6, featuring an address by Jules Gill-Peterson, followed by a conversation with Mel Y. Chen.

Introduction
My name is Angel De Luna (she/her/hers). I am a Sagittarius sun and Leo moon, with an Aquarius rising, arguably the BEST three signs in one chart. Sorry y’all can’t relate. 🙁 I’m a master’s student in the social welfare department, graduating in May. My focus is addressing mental health disparities among low-income queer and trans people, especially Black and brown communities with co-occurring/complex mental health needs. I am currently placed at the UCLA Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) and am the 2022 Thinking Gender Conference Coordinator.

What is your favorite thing about organizing the Thinking Gender conference?
I am particularly excited about our keynote speaker Dr. Jules Gill-Peterson. Many academic discourses around trans experiences are written by cis people in a way that is extractivist and dehumanizing to trans people. Cis people get to present work about trans people at conferences and obtain recognition and status for their work, while doing little to uplift street-connected trans people living in poverty. Cis-led research often glorifies trans people’s perpetual resilience and bravery but do nothing to change the material conditions, so that we do not have to be brave or resilient. I am very excited to see trans lives discussed in a multi-dimensional way!

I also look forward to our colleague Arielle’s daily inspirational quote/memes in our lively slack group chat every morning. Truly, who cares if the glass is half full or half empty–just refill it! Genius.

Do you have any hobbies?
I have hobbies I pick up every quarter. This quarter, I’ve been painting acrylic on canvas. I’m not “good” at painting, but I’ve been decorating my room with each completed work as part of a new year resolution to celebrate all of my imperfections!

Do you have any pets?
I am a proud mom of five female dogs. All of them are lesbians, and I love that for them.

What is one fun fact you’d like to tell everyone?
I’m a professional astrologist! I read natal charts as a side hustle, and hope to become a holistic clinician that integrates astrology and animist spiritual practices into my mental health work.

What is your favorite and least favorite zodiac sign?
I don’t have a least favorite zodiac sign, and I love each sign for different reasons. But obviously, Sagittariuses are the best. I don’t make the rules!

What is your favorite movie and/or book?
I don’t have a favorite book per se, but I think a recent work I’ve been investing time on is our very own keynote speaker, Dr. Jules Gill-Peterson’s, Histories of the Transgender Child.