CSWAC Corner: Jasmine Nadua Trice

Get to know our CSW Advisory Committee (CSWAC) members through CSWAC Corner! We are proud to have an advisory committee made up of feminist scholars working in various fields from gender studies to public health to film and television. Each month, we’ll feature a CSWAC member to learn more about them and their work.

This month, we’re spotlighting TWO CSWAC members. First up is:

Jasmine Nadua Trice

Associate Professor, Film, Television, and Digital Media

What are you working on?

One thing I’ve been working on is an essay for my colleague Denise Mann’s anthology on international co-productions and streaming platforms. It’s been fun as it’s sort of outside of my typical research area. I’m writing about a couple of genre shows that are on HBO Asia, Grisse, billed as a 19th-century “mee goreng” western set in colonial Java, and Halfworlds, which takes regional mythologies and sets them in a contemporary metropolitan setting.

Another piece I’m working on is for the Routledge Companion to Asian Cinema, which is about urbanism in Southeast Asian film.

Is there anything you’d like to shine a spotlight on?

At the end of last year, I had an article published in Pelikula: A Journal of Philippine Cinema, on the recent wave of Southeast Asian films that overlap with science fiction. I’m not so much recommending that particular piece as this journal as a whole, which was started relatively recently at the University of the Philippines Film Institute, and has been publishing work from scholars, archivists, film activists, and students. It’s a great resource.

For something that’s more directly related to my research, my first book, City of Screens: Imagining Audiences in Manila’s Alternative Film Culture, came out from Duke University Press last year.

Where can we find you on social media?

I’m not really on social media that much! I feel like the internet has melted my attention span so I mostly use it to look at things.

But I’ve been posting interviews with film practitioners related to a co-authored book project here: https://www.aseac-interviews.org/

What are you currently reading?

Outside of work-related stuff, I’m belatedly reading Cathy Park Hong’s Minor Feelings and recently finished Michelle Zauner’s Crying in H Mart.

Other than your current research interests, what other fields would you want to explore if you had the time?

I love cooking, going out to eat, and reading/watching food media. So I’d probably do something in food studies if I could do something very outside of my discipline. My friend who’s in a cultural studies department in Malaysia switched her research area from film to food a few years back, and when she started talking about visiting barbeques at conferences I thought it sounded pretty great.

If you are a CSW Advisory Committee member who would like to be featured in CSWAC Corner, please fill out this Google form.